Myths of Separation

No Comments

Many family law clients arrive at their lawyers with incorrect assumptions relating to rights, in addition to their ex- spouse’s rights after separation. Here are some of the extremely common myths, answers and questions:

1. If I get out of the house I lose my entitlement to the property or I will get less within the property settlement.

The data is however that should not prejudice the exact property entitlement on the spouse leaving. It may however supply the spouse that is still in the property a strategic advantage by delaying the difficulty ie: leaving additional party eager for a payout and maybe agreeing to a lot less than their entitlement because they are anxious for the cash.

2. My ex- wife/husband has moved out of your home but is unpredictable and violent but it is illegal will change the locks because la and orange county not on your house title.

In an average family law situation along these lines, the victim with the violence could seek an intervention order against their spouse in case appropriate the judge would exclude the violent spouse on the home. The police wouldn’t normally normally engage in either spouse changing the locks ie: it may not normally remain visible as a legal for one with the spouses to modify the locks. The Police would for most circumstances consider the issue a “civil” one and also for the family law courts to find out upon either party apply, as opposed to seeing it being a matter with the criminal courts to face. Police may however become involved and lay criminal charges if there were already an intervention order constantly in place and the party against whom the intervention order is made breached the physical conditions of that order regardless of whether they just went in the home to manage to get thier clothing and possessions.

3. My name is and not on the title and I am concerned that my partner will sell your home without my knowledge.

There are issues that can be done to preserve assets and hang notice out on the world from the rights on the spouse who not have their name for the title eg: lodging a caveat. When a purchaser is looking throughout the paper work to buy the exact property and a title search is done within the normal lifetime of conveyancing, the caveat can have up and may need being resolved before the house can be sold.

4.My partner is aggressive and violent. He/she has however said that he/she has got the right to view the children.

Long story short, it does not take child’s straight away to maintain connection with either parent governed by what the family law courts say is inside the child’s interests. Often the family law courts will impose conditions upon the violent parent before or during contact (access) visits happening eg: dependence on clean drug screens, abstinence from alcohol, mental health assessment, supervision of contact time, realization an anger management course or counselling. It is not an automatic straight away to see the children whenever at whatever cost. This can turn into complex area however and it’s prudent to find the advice of the family law solicitor before you make any decisions no matter what.

5. My children are scared of my partner. What do I do? The children should not see him.

This is usually a difficult dilemma and intensely needs the attention of any family law solicitor after reviewing all on the facts including whether current court orders exist, should they be final or interim, what new circumstances have arisen since court orders were made, the history in the contact of course, if the contact parent has availed themselves with their scheduled contact allowed under orders, family violence, age and maturity with the children, and lots of other factors. In urgent situations litigant may not be capable to access a lawyer and should consult police, child protection services as well as the child’s doctor or psychologist to have advice when unable to see an attorney.

6. What do we all do about our tv, computer, surfboard along with personal property?

If fundamental essentials only waste property being argued over, it’s only not commercially worthwhile to pay the money to attend court. Most mediation centres provde the first couple of hours mediation no cost, which enable it to assist parties reaching a partnership to divide these assets. Before attending a mediation session it could be useful to list all items in the home room by room after which tick off which issues you really want that are open to negotiation.

7. I am keeping the matrimonial home but I will refinance later. My partner said that is ok. What’s the worst that will happen?

In this it is unlikely which the title may be transferred into one spouses’ name whilst the mortgage remains to be in joint names. If the parties agree for he actual transfer and refinance to get done around the track say in 6 or yr, you must still get a binding financial agreement done this that another party sticks for the agreement, regardless of whether you think you own an amicable verbal agreement or non legal written agreement. Quite often when others come along (loved ones, in-laws, new girlfriend or boyfriend) the specific situation changes and also a claim is produced instead of sticking towards the original agreement. By that time the value from the home could go up along with the claim made might include seeking a large payout. The partner which has moved out will also gain pressure from banks that he/she is seeking a fresh loan or mortgage from, when they will immediately start to see the old joint mortgage still available which may be an obstacle to obtaining new finance to ensure partner can proceed.

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *